February 15, 2015

For Me, Valentine's Day is Every Day

"Love is so much more than a single holiday"




First of all, I want to greet each and every one a Happy Valentine's Day. Let us all celebrate a good one.

Okay, Valentine's Day it is, a special and hallmark holiday that is celebrated once in a year where people give gifts and cards (Flowers too, if you are a guy) to their loved ones to show their love. Now, that is a good thing. However, it seems like each year, it becomes more about what you buy and give as a gift rather than how you celebrate.

I see the rush the day (or days) before Valentine's Day and it seems like there is a Fire sale on Flowers, the sudden need to buy stuff toys, the rush to get chocolates, and the race to reserve on places to take loved ones for a date. I then cannot really help but think "Seriously? People tend to only do this on Valentine's Day?"




My Valentine's Day back then

Now, don't get me wrong. I remember back then, Valentine's Day was also a bit of a huge deal to me. In my elementary days, I wait for this day to ask my "elementary crush" out on a treat at the school canteen then give her my prepared letter written out on the most fragrant stationery that I can get. In High School, Valentine's Day will be the day that I will use up some of the money that I saved from the honorarium to get something to give to that special girl and then ask her for a date under the light of the moon and a thousand stars (funds are low when you are a mere high school student). Come College days, Valentine's Day is a very special day that like just like every lovestruck guy in town, I go join in the rush to get the most unique gift, the freshest stem of rose that I can find, and securing the best place I can find (with the modest budget I have) to take my girlfriend on a date.

You see, I am just like every other bloke out there who want to make every Valentine's Day a special one.

However, through those years and the years that followed -  a lot of Valentine's Days I have experienced - I witnessed a lot of people rushing and cramming in the day (or night) before Valentine’s Day to buy cards, presents, flowers, chocolate… or basically anything they could find and then, that is when I realized that Valentine's Day was becoming less about celebrating the love, and more about buying your significant other something to physically show them your love - a "material" object.


My Valentine's Day at present

Fact is, I’m married and I do have a Valentine for the rest of my life. Obviously, I am so truly, madly, and deeply in love with her.

The thing is I don’t need a holiday to celebrate our love, because we celebrate it every day.

Sure, my significant other loves chocolates, flowers, dates, and gifts (who doesn't?), but does it have to be always those things when Valentine's Day comes? I think not.

All we need on the special holiday of hearts is a simple SMS or phone call telling each other how we LOVE each other while we are both at work and then, telling each other the same thing when we are both at home. After that, unlike most people joining in the rush on that exact date, we plan for a certain day when we will exactly have that cozy dinner or a family bonding affair (since we have a kid) to celebrate that special occasion for love. Looking at it, it is just like the best thing we can do not only a Valentine's Day, but also in almost every day of our married life.

In my universe, love is much larger than a single day. Love isn’t in the material objects that I chose to give. Love isn’t in the cuddly bears, the sweet chocolates, or the red roses.

Love is in that eye contact you share between you and your special other when you’re together.

Love are those words that you do not have to say at all because your special someone knows exactly what is in your mind.

Love is adoring and savoring every moment together, no matter how big or small it is.

Love is enjoying the normal routine, whether you play console games together, go out to dinner often, or just enjoy sitting on the living room and watching your favorite movies and series over and over.

You see, Love is so much more than a single holiday.

That is why for me, Valentine's Day is every day.

Again, Happy Hearts Day to everyone and spread the love not only for this day, but every day that we can.

Until next time,


Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment