August 19, 2014

The Doctor is In! The Old is the New


"As old as he may look, he is the NEW doctor"

Yes, I look OLD, but I feel NEW
 In five days' time (or four, depending on your time zone), a new season or more appropriately, "Series", of the world's longest running science fiction television show - Doctor Who - will premiere. For a lot of Whovians (include me on that list), the long wait is over ever since the Christmas Special that ended the previous Series...

...an ending that left a lot of faces looking like this:

STUNNED is an Understatement
You see, the Christmas Special (aptly titled, The Time of the Doctor) not only marked the end of Series 7 of Doctor Who, it also featured the final regular appearance of the 11th Doctor (played by the talented Matt Smith since 2010) and the first regular appearance of the incoming 12th Doctor (portrayed by Peter Capaldi) via the process of "Regeneration" - A mechanic in Doctor Who Universe that lets the show change actors for the lead role, but still maintaining the same main character (a very unique and at the same time, effective mechanic, IMHO).

Now, what was shocking in the ending was, unlike other regeneration episodes/stories where the regeneration process was very detailed and long, the regeneration in the Time of the Doctor took only ONE FREAKING SECOND to happen. It was like, the 11th Doctor just sneezed and then, WHOA! In an instant, he is now the 12th Doctor and the episode concluded in a cliffhanger.

One Second, he looks like this...

...and the next one,  he instantly looks like This, YOWZA!
Now, that ending left a lot of fans (Again, include me in this list too) stunned not only because of the abrupt regeneration scene, but also because of sheer surprise as to what the 11th Doctor had become after his regeneration. It is understandable though; the change from the young, energetic, and lively 11th Doctor into an old and frail looking  12th Doctor is one hard pill to swallow and unfortunately, some fans are having a hard time accepting that change.

Should Whovians be worried about the NEW Doctor? If you are going to ask me, the answer is NO.

I for one, had been left shell shocked by the change from 11th to 12th. I am just a newly-christened Whovian (my little sister converted me into one) and the first Doctor Who episode I watched was the "Eleventh Hour" (The first full episode of Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor after he regenerated from the 10th Doctor) and so my first Doctor is the 11th Doctor and you know what they say about your first Doctor right? - You never forget your first Doctor.

I gotta say that the 11th Doctor will always be my favorite Doctor and if I can have it my way, I would love it if the 11th Doctor could stay. However, Doctor Who does not function that way. The show owes it longevity to the change it constantly undergoes - The change of the Doctor.

The change from one Doctor to another is what makes the show go forward. A New Doctor brings a lot of new things to the show e.g., a new main character to relate to, new companions, a new TARDIS interior, a new Sonic Screwdriver, new adventures, characters, places, and a lot more. The fact is, these changes appeal to loyal audiences and attract new fans (Like me) too. For that reason, A NEW Doctor is always a good thing for the show.

Seeing the 11th Doctor suddenly change to an old-looking 12th Doctor left me shocked because I was NOT expecting that, but as time goes on, I was able to accept that come Series 8, the 12th Doctor will be the NEW doctor and I can say that I am now excited to watch his first full episode and the next episodes after that. Why? Because he is a NEW doctor that will  bring a lot of NEW dimension to the show with every NEW adventure in time and space that he will set out to and not to mention NEW characters/villains/creatures/places that will be introduced along with him.

Fans do not need to worry about the new Doctor, instead, they should be fascinated and be excited with this new Doctor. Let us get over how different he looks compared to the 11th because  "As OLD as he may look, he is the NEW Doctor."

Come this weekend, a New Adventure with the New Doctor is going to start and I really cannot wait for it. Yes, for the record, I have accepted that Eleven's hour is over and the clock has struck Twelve.

Take a "Deep Breath" and brace yourselves for the 12th Doctor.

Until next time,

Ciao!



Disclaimer:
*The Images are not mine and are the property of their respective owners, mainly BBC One.




No comments:

Post a Comment