June 15, 2014

My Independence Girl (A Birthday Post for my Companion for Life)

“Having you is Independence, because you are my Independence Girl”

It is a couple of days since June 12, a very special day for the country because it is the day when we, Filipinos, celebrate our beloved homeland’s independence, so special that everybody celebrates it and the day, in fact, is a holiday.

For this blogger (yours truly), June 12 for me is special not only because of the above-mentioned reason. This day also happens to be the Birthday of a very special girl in my life; a girl that completes me - my other half, my wife, Antonette.


My Daughter and My Wife - I consider myself Lucky!

Since it is her Birthday, I want to write a little bit about what she means to me and of course, our family.

As a mother, she consistently goes above and beyond for the sake of our little princess, Allison. I really can sit and wonder how she can balance the time taking care of our daughter and then also doing her day job as a high school teacher (to which she is also a mother to a lot of students). I will admit that I am not that good with taking care of kids. Somehow I use the excuse of being a “first-time dad” to get away scot-free with my shortcomings, but with Antonette, there are no excuses. She is also a “first-time mom”, but she does not let that show. Where I (and I can say, some people) would be at a breaking point, I am in complete awe as I watch her wake up each and every morning and handles it with the grace and patience that I could only “aspire” to attain. (Yeah, Allison, you are one lucky kid to have Antonette as your mom)

As a wife, I can say that she is the All-Time Best Companion. Yes, I used the word companion (direct reference to Doctor Who) because in every sense of the word, I can be a tough nut to crack just like the famous Time Lord. Let us put it this way, without a companion, the Doctor can do a lot of bad things than good because he is alone. With a companion, there is a moral compass and the Doctor can think clearly and therefore, do good, reasonable, and justifiable things. That is how Antonette affects my life as my wife/companion, she helps me do things that are justifiably and reasonably good. She also challenges me to become a better husband and father by showing me how to communicate better with her and as well with our daughter. In our married life so far, we have been through a lot of rough times, but we came out of it stronger, a big part of that is because of Antonette. I know that I am really far from being a perfect husband, but the way she loves me for what I am (the shortcomings, turbulent attitude and all), I am so grateful. She is my best friend, my moral compass, and of course my ever present companion.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you my dear Antonette for all that you do for our family; “Having you is Independence, because you are my Independence Girl”

I love you and again, Happy Birthday!

Until next time,

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment